March 14, 2008

Since when was Rape Considered Mildly Entertaining?

Only in Japan. Dear God. If you ever needed proof that a repressed people have exponentially weird sexual tastes (think "Peek-a-boo, I'm touchin' you" Catholic priests), this is it:



Meet Reipuman (trans., "Rape-Man"). Reipuman is, apparently, a superhero. The cause he champions is the heroic rape of women who rejected him (how they managed to resist his charmingly lascivious gaze, I shall never know). This series of films (yes, series) directed by Takao Nagaishi was to cater to, wait for it...middle aged men. I know, I nearly died of shock, too.

According to IMDb, the "Reipuman" flicks were "surprisingly funny and humourous" and are "perfect to cheer somebody up!". How silly of me to have once thought the physical violation of women could be anything but lighthearted fun! I'm not sure about you, but that would be one killer costume to wear if you had to, I dunno, give a speech on, say, International Women's Day.

You can read a ridiculously erudite review of Reipuman and other sex-offender friendly flicks here

No comments: